Your Therapist’s Advice

Home Forums Forums Your Therapist’s Advice

This topic contains 28 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra McKenzie 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Martin
    Words of Women
    Keymaster
    14 pts

What’s the best advice you ever got from a therapist, psychologist, or counselor? Share it with other women who may need it…

#7476 Score: 1
    Lauren Martin
    Words of Women
    Keymaster
    14 pts

My therapist suggested replacing “is there anything I can do” with “what do you need” when comforting someone as the first kind of assumes you as part of the equation in helping someone which isn’t always helpful. It also kind of pressures the person suffering to kind of come up with something FOR you to do. Like I get so frustrated with that first question as a person who gets it a lot.

The second not only takes the pressure off but also might help the person really consider what their actual needs are like hey I haven’t eaten, maybe that’s a reason I feel crappy. It kinda takes the asker out of the immediate picture so the person struggling can focus on what they actually need, and then if you CAN help, you can offer it.

This post has received 1 vote up.
    #7477 Score: 0

L

“Don’t believe everything you think”.
    So simple yet so true

#7478 Score: 0

Amy

You don’t have to check your life boxes in any specific order.

#7479 Score: 0

Ruth

Other people’s happiness is not your responsibility. We are each responsible for our own happiness.

#7480 Score: 0

Madeline

What other people think of me is none of my business.

#7483 Score: 0

Ashley

I was told to feel things. Go deep into what your feeling and acknowledge it/them.
    BUT make sure you give yourself a time limit on your pitty-party. Give yourself 30 mins, an hour, 2 hours… Then get back in the day and make the most of it!!!
    (I did this today!)❤️🔮✔️

#7484 Score: 0

SS

Stop “should-ing” yourself. There’s no need in telling ourselves we should do this or we should be this person. “Should” actually holds us back in life, and many of us don’t even realize we are living with so many “should” in our everyday thoughts.

#7485 Score: 0

Alexandra

I was told by a therapist that being ‘sensitive’ is a gift, and not a flaw. Those words have always stuck with me when I have an emotional breakdown. That in being sensitive to my, and others’ feelings I carry strength not weakness.

#7486 Score: 0

Kate H.

Progress is not linear.

#7487 Score: 0

Esther

Reframing can make all the difference. From “I have to” to “I get to”

#7488 Score: 0

Bj Hickman

Adults inform. Children explain.

#7489 Score: 0

Carly

If you want or need to cry, then cry. Don’t be ashamed to allow yourself to feel.

#7492 Score: 0

Katie

“Whatever happens, you can handle it. You don’t have to accept it, but you can handle it.” I always remind myself this when I’m trying to find the courage to advocate for myself in conversations that are really important to me (but equally as hard).

#7493 Score: 0

Caroline O

When ruminating or stuck in negative thinking patterns ask yourself “How does this serve me?”
    9 times out of 10 it doesn’t. Puts things in perspective immediately.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

Login or quick register to reply to this topic.