December Book Club

Home Forums Book Club December Book Club

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Lauren Martin Words of Women 2 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Lauren Martin
    Words of Women
    Keymaster

The Secret History by Donna Tartt

Synopsis: Under the influence of their charismatic classics professor, a group of clever, eccentric misfits at an elite New England college discover a way of thinking and living that is a world away from the humdrum existence of their contemporaries. But when they go beyond the boundaries of normal morality their lives are changed profoundly and forever, and they discover how hard it can be to truly live and how easy it is to kill. This is ‘The Secret History’

Why I Chose This Book: I chose this book because, well, frankly, it’s beautiful, profound and a page turner.

Imagine meeting a professor in college who creates a unique 4-year curriculum based around his interests? A curriculum that only holds classes on the books, languages and ideas that he finds most important for a student to learn?

Only six students are allowed to take part in his course and it’s in these  private classes that they begin to change.

Or, as Lucie Whithouse of The Independent describes, “The book might have been written for me; its 600 pages contained what I did and still do love most in books: a brooding atmosphere that shimmers with menace, unflinching psychological analysis, fresh and exciting writing and, perhaps best of all for someone doing university entrance papers in Latin and Greek, classics. 

I became a HUGE fan of Donna Tartt after reading ‘The Goldfinch’. This first book of hers, however, is on par with the Pulitzer prize winning novel, but with unique elements unto itself. This book is about friendship but also about solitude. It’s about what it’s like to meet people in university and create a family — while still never losing that inner solitude we carry with us throughout life.

While reading this book along with us, please use the forum below to tell us your favorite quotes, thoughts you have and pages you’d like to discuss. This is what the book club’s all about! I’ll be posting Instagrams with quotes and facts from the book throughout the month of December.

Happy reading!

Amazon: Purchase Here

Favorite Quotes:

I thought too much, lived too much in the mind.

Forgive me, for all the things I did but mostly for the ones that I did not.

— all those layers of silence on silence

One’s thought patterns become different … when forced into the confines of a rigid and unfamiliar tongue. Certain common ideas become inexpressible; other, previously undreamt-of ones spring to life, finding miraculous new articulation.

I suppose at one time in my life I might have had any number of stories, but now there is no other. This is the only story I will ever be able to tell.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
Reply To: December Book Club
Your information: